Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pregnancy Update: 10 weeks

Well, everyone.  Ciaran and I are pretty stoked.  We've made it to the double digits!!!!  I'm 10 weeks pregnant today and my chance of miscarriage has dropped to 5% (according to my OB on Wednesday when I had my first "official" pregnancy appointment with him).   And my baby bump made it's grand debut this week.  I thought maybe I was just a little bloated, but Dr. assured me that I do indeed have a little baby bump already...my tiny frame and where I'm carrying the baby is the reason for it.  Fun stuff, huh?  It was a bit frustrating trying to find pants to wear to work this week...I may be wearing skirts and dresses for the rest of the school year.

Size of Baby:  According to most websites, Baby is about the size of a prune at this point

Total Weight Gain/Loss: I'm still below my pre-pregnancy weight.  Ugh.  Stupid vomiting.

Maternity Clothes:  Not needed yet.  I just need to go up a size in pants or wear skirts or dresses from now on.  :-)

Movement:  Not feeling anything yet obviously, but according to most websites, Baby is already quite the acrobat at this stage.

Sleep:  If I could, I would sleep every hour of every day.  A little miracle drug called Phenergan is helping me sleep through the night and has been a real life-saver!  Previously, my nausea had been keeping me from getting the sleep I so desperately wanted and needed.
 
What I miss:  All of my energy.  I used to be such a motivated and industrious individual.  For the past six weeks all I live for is surviving my work day and coveting a place on the couch or in my bed.  Weekends are now devoted entirely to sleeping. 

Cravings:   Oreo cookies, McDonald's Bacon, Egg, and Cheese bagel meals with orange juice (I remove the bacon...I like the flavoring of the bacon, but can't stomach the actual consistency of it), and chocolate cupcakes.  Chocolate milk shakes are also desired at all points and times of day.

Symptoms:  Nausea with vomiting is now confined to no more than three times a day.  Woohoo!  False alarms (gagging and hanging over the toilet) are still ever present.  Nausea exists pretty much 24/7 still.  Fatigue is present (although not as extreme).  I've also experienced some aches and mild pains as my body has started to shift things around to accommodate Baby.  Mood swings are the newest addition to my symptoms.  Ciaran probably feels as if he has whiplash from the extremes that I have fluctuated between this past week.  His "trooper" as he has referenced me as a number of times earlier in this pregnancy is no longer a good trooper.  I'm tired of feeling sick and tired.

Best Moment this Week: The sun coming out on Friday and the fun of watching the royal wedding on TV on Friday night (recorded from earlier in the morning).  Such cheeriness and beauty after being so utterly miserable for so long!  It was a welcome sight...both the beauty of the sunshine here at home and the beauty of the wedding across the pond. 

3 comments:

JR said...

Yay baby!! Hopefully that nausea will be over with soon enough. It's so funny to think of him/her as a prune...well, the SIZE of a prune, I know...but it's just a funny mental image. :) And yay baby bump!!! :)

Michelle said...

LOL, Jen. I thought the same thing!!! I almost put that Baby is between the size of a green olive and a lime because that's what most websites have for 9 weeks and 11 weeks respectively. A prune is just an awful mental image...in my mind at least. ;-) I'd like to believe Baby is so much cuter than a wrinkled, yucky prune. Hahahaha!

Shannon said...

As far as the pants not fitting, I recommend the Be-Band from Target. It's basically a big spandex band that you can wear around your waist...and holds up your pants without having to button them. :-) If it shows under your shirt, it just looks like a layered tank top. It also holds up too-big maternity pants. Makes your pre-pregnancy pants last a few more weeks anyway. I like mine. :-)