Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pregnancy Update: 12 weeks

Well, I'm twelve weeks today and I still feel pretty miserable.  But that's ok as long as little Baby is still doing fine.  Our next OB appointment isn't until May 25 so I have a way to go before we'll get confirmation that Baby is doing well.  Here's my latest pregnancy update!

Size of Baby:  According to most websites, Baby is about the size of a plum at this point.

Total Weight Gain/Loss: I'm still below my pre-pregnancy weight.  Ugh.  Stupid vomiting.

Maternity Clothes:  Not needed yet.  I am able to wear my work pants by threading a hair tie through my button hole and fastening it around my button.  It gives an extra inch or so in the waist.  So nice.

Movement:  Not feeling anything yet obviously, but according to most websites, Baby is already quite the acrobat at this stage.

Sleep:  If I could, I would sleep every hour of every day.  Unfortunately, life and work don't allow this.  I'm struggling more and more to get comfortable and stay asleep at night which is quite frustrating.  Oh well.
 
What I miss:  All of my energy. Completely crossed off "to do" lists at the end of the day.  An orderly apartment.  Cooking without gagging or vomiting.  Being organized in my classroom.  Driving to work without vomiting on myself.  Being able to drive anywhere without feeling like vomiting.

Cravings:   Fruit, fruit, and more fruit.  And Edy's strawberry popsicles.  And strawberry milkshakes.  And colby jack cheese.  And cottage cheese.  And orange juice...particularly McDonald's orange juice in the early AM.  Oh, did I mention that my cravings have fully taken over?!  :-)

Symptoms:  Ugh, nausea and vomiting.  2nd trip to the ER was required yesterday for severe dehydration.  The ER doctor mentioned that I may have to look into a PIC line because I'm not responding very well to anti-nausea meds and I may just have to focus on staying hydrated via IV fluids since my vomiting and nausea aren't letting up.  He said to give it a few more weeks before we start to make decisions of that kind though.

Fatigue is still a pretty big issue, but I think it's more from being so dehydrated all of the time.

Best Moment this Week:  Two moments this week:

1.  Signing up for our Bradley method birthing classes (starts on August 6 and runs for 12 weeks).  Oh man, does it seem official and real now!  Woohoo!

 2.  Discussing baby names with Ciaran and allowing ourselves to get really giddy about this baby.  We are REALLY getting excited!!!  And the baby names we're considering at 12 weeks are as follows:

Boys:
Ciaran Jack (he'd go by Jack around family/friends so as not to be confused with my husband)
Liam Carter
Eamon Louis

Girls:
Madelyn Sinead
Emily Christine
Claire Elizabeth

For those of you who know us and our family really well, you're probably noticing the trend with the middle names.  Yes, they are all family names.  The first names are not family names except for my husband's.  He doesn't want to name our firstborn son after himself...but I love his name so much, so I'm trying to convince him otherwise.  :-)  And I keep reminding him if we went with that name, the little one would be called Jack most of the time (after my beloved grandfather), so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.  The other two boys names we love equally as we do the three girl names so we'll see what we end up deciding upon come Thanksgiving weekend!!!!   So exciting!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I can't believe you guys came up with six complete names you both love! Ed and I have yet to agree on even a first name for either gender. :-P This is the most stressful part of having a baby, I think. We're both soooo opinionated, and not-so-much like-minded in this!

JR said...

Blech for still having nausea, but YAY for the names! I love them all! Shan, don't worry. I'm sure you and Ed will come up with something fabulous. After all, you only need one at a time. :)

PS - Congrats on reaching and conquering your 12th week ladies! Welcome to the 2nd trimester!!!

Michelle said...

Ah yes, we did come up with six complete names, but narrowing it down to just one of those six may be the ultimate challenge. :-)