Sunday, May 29, 2011

Counting It All Joy

My nausea rages on.  Even though I am 14 weeks and 1 day into my pregnancy, I woke up this morning yet again unable to even get out of bed without holding back vomit.  Ciaran had to once again trek out to the kitchen to grab me some ice cold lemonade to wash down my prescription anti-nausea med.  I then laid perfectly still for 30 minutes praying and focusing on all the ways the Lord has blessed me (this is the only way I don't begin to cry in frustration).  Once the 30 minutes had passed, Ciaran once again got up, fixed me some cereal, and still trying to lay perfectly still, I consumed said bowl of cereal.  Even with food in me, every movement triggered gagging.  All morning long.

It's easy for me to start throwing a pity party for myself and bemoaning why I have to be the unlucky one to be so ill in pregnancy when so many of colleagues and friends sailed through their pregnancies without vomiting even once.  I loathe our current morning routine.  I'll admit it...somedays I even resent the fact that I can't roll out of bed without gagging or vomiting.  But honestly, this does me no good.  It doesn't alleviate the nausea.  And it certainly doesn't make me a pleasant person to be around. 

So I've decided...I'm just going to count it all joy.  The Lord is growing a precious little child inside of me.  And if I have to be ridiculously ill every day of this pregnancy to bring this child safely into this world, then I'm going to count it as joy.  Every time I get sick, Ciaran reminds me I'm doing this for Baby and that this is just for a season. And he's so right.  I need to deeply ingrain this in my brain.  It's not as if I'm going to vomit like this for the rest of my life...it's just for a season.  So pray for me, dear readers, that I will count it all joy and serve the Lord joyfully in this season of pregnancy...a pregnancy that Ciaran and I have been wanting for a long time. 

1 comment:

Anna said...

Thanks for this testimony. I have been reading James 1 and thinking about what it means to count trials as joy. I will pray for your encouragement. Reflecting back on both of my pregnancies in the sick stage, the sickness takes a huge emotional toll as well as physical. Even then I didn't realize fully how drastically the sickness affected me emotionally. Lord willing, better days are right around the corner... meanwhile, I hope you are able to remain joyful in Him!