Saturday, January 13, 2007

Broadway!

Oh how I love Broadway musicals! I stayed up really late last night singing to my new favorite musical, Wicked. As I listened I found myself being filled with questions which caused me to hop online and dig up a synopsis, complete with spoilers. [Yea for spoilers!] My attraction to this play began with a duet entitled “For Good” and that’s basically the entire reason I asked for this CD for Christmas. As I have listened to the entire CD over the past few weeks, the questions it caused me to ask drew me deeper into the story and now that I’ve read the synopsis AND spoilers, I love this play on more than just a couple levels. I love a play that plays off of an audience’s prior knowledge and assumptions and I love when a play fills in gaps that a person didn’t originally know even existed. This musical is primarily the story of the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz. Now as a child I never like The Wizard of Oz, actually I loathed it. But after falling in love with this musical, it makes me want to give it another chance. Wicked is filled with questions of free will and destiny and all that fun stuff, which only serves to heighten my enjoyment (whether I agree or not). It’s also saturated with some cool political themes, which makes me love it even more. I am finding myself really caring about Elphaba (i.e. the Wicked Witch) and it makes me realize that there is often so much more to each person we meet than what we see at face value. OK, I know this is a silly post, but I had to post on something other than Prem. today and all that God is teaching me right now is a bit too personal for a blog, so here’s my fun commentary on a Broadway musical.

OK, so I’ve also been trying to rank my top ten favorite Broadway musicals in my head all this morning as I am cleaning house and singing to Wicked. And I think this is what I have come up with...

1. Wicked (at present)
2. The Light in the Piazza
3. Ragtime
4. Scarlet Pimpernel
5. Les Miserables
6. Phantom of the Opera
7. Jane Eyre
8. Little Women
9. Beauty and the Beast (I know that this should be higher on my list, since Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie of all time, but the musical just doesn’t hold up as well as the movie did.)
10. Side Show (Miss Saigon should really be here, but I really only like it because of four songs, so I couldn’t justify putting it as #10 because of just four songs).

All right, there are a few thoughts on my love of Broadway musicals!

4 comments:

JR said...

Light in the Piazza...Linda's been getting to you. :D Eek. Ravioli time.

JR said...

GO REDS!

Michelle said...

Man. United lost today Jen! Even though Chelsea lost to you yesterday, my boys are still going to be ok!!! Nine points would have meant it was all over. But six points, oh that can be dealt with easily between now and May.

amy deLine said...

Go Peyton Manning! He's going to the Super Bowl! Now that you know who Peyton is (see, we're on a first name basis b/c I've got this friend who's like tight with him)...well, now that you know who he is, I shall inform you of what the Super Bowl is. It's like the World Cup of American Football except it happens every single year. It's usually a pretty big event. =)

I love you, Michelle and I'm really only joking :). And, guess what? I start the Truth Project in T-minus 140 minutes. More to come on that soon, I'm sure!