Monday, January 01, 2007

Soccer Commentary During the Storm

OK, I'm well aware that it is after 2:30AM, but it's storming out and for those of you who didn't know this about me...I'm incredibly scared of storms. I know that I should trust Christ more and not be scared of nature ( in all its wrath) as I am. But I cannot seem to convince my body to listen to what I know to be true in my head. Hence the trembling and the inability to sleep. So I thought instead of laying in bed shaking like a leaf, I would come and share some thoughts on soccer to distract me and cheer myself up [yikes, a gust of wind just shook my back door...freaky!].

SO... Chelsea had a rough weekend in the 2-2 draw against Fulham. They played on FSC Saturday at 10am and at noon I received my official jersey in the mail (no I didn’t get Lampard’s name and number plastered on the back of it….it would have been too expensive…hehe). And although since 2001 I have shifted support from two teams (i.e. Liverpool from 2001-2003, Newcastle 2003-2006)…I am now entirely devoted to Chelsea (hence my jersey…the Newcastle gear is being shoved to the very back of my closet, we’ll pretend it doesn’t exist any longer). Ahem...(Awkward pause), I was saying in reference to my devotion to Chelsea that it will remain rock solid…as long as they stay on the up and up (I’m a little nervous about that Russian billionaire who owns them, hehe, just kidding) and Lampard, Terry, and Drogba don’t leave for another club. Hmmm...I guess I am a bit of a fair-weather supporter, aren’t I?!

Well, anyway…the disappointing 2-2 draw against Fulham has led me to want to garner some excitement for my new dear club. They are just in a bit of a slump, what with Terry out because of surgery (he was back in training yesterday though!), Cech out on injury (think surgery on a fractured skull…ya it’s going to be awhile before we see him) along with Joe Cole and Arjen Robben out on injury and our wonderful (please note just the smallest bit of sarcasm here) £30million signing, Andriy Shevchenko, not performing.

OK, about Shevchenko, I’ve been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt for the past few months, even going so far as to pointedly defend him when some friends critiqued his performance this season, but I’m sorry, I can’t keep it up much longer…he just isn’t producing for all the money we signed him for!!! He’ll pull through yet though, I know it (this is optimism at it’s finest people). :-) I am happy to announce though, in the midst of this sadness, that Lampard (who’s having his go at being skipper in the absence of Terry) was instrumental in both Chelsea goals!!! Yea Lampard! One goal was a nice deflection off of a Fulham player (can’t remember his name, that’s how inconsequential Fulham is to me) and the next was an absolutely gorgeous assist to Drogba who had no problem finding the back of the net after such a beautiful feed from my man Lampard. So, even though it was a disappointing result for me as these two West London clubs went up against each other, I am still hopeful for what will come throughout the remainder of the season. And to pay my respects to my beloved club and to garner a little excitement as I had mentioned earlier, here is a great tribute…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_rgoOOH_UE

Oh and almost to the end of the clip is an aerial shot of Stamford Bridge (oh Jen, when I finally get you to defect from Liverpool, we’re going to go there and enjoy a wonderful game at the Bridge together! Someday, that is, and I’m looking forward to it!)


All right, so the wind and the rain outside are still raging (at least the thunder has stopped), so I am off to use this time awake to spend with the Lord, but before I go, I leave you with these words...

Blue is the colour, football is the game

We're all together, and winning is our aim
So cheer us on through the sun and rain
'cause Chelsea, Chelsea is our name

Here at the Bridge whether rain or fine
We can shine all the time
Home or away, come and see us play
You're welcome any day

Blue is the colour, football is the game
We're all together, and winning is our aim
So cheer us on through the sun and rain
'cause Chelsea, Chelsea is our name

Come to the Shed and we'll welcome you
Wear your blue and see us through
Sing loud and clear until the game is done
Sing Chelsea everyone.

Blue is the colour, football is the game

We're all together, and winning is our aim
So cheer us on through the sun and rain
'cause Chelsea, Chelsea is our name

2 comments:

JR said...

Ugh. Someday, you'll convince me to turn traitor, and I'll eat my words, but UGH! Yuck. Too bad blue's my favorite color. You think Liverpool and Chelsea could switch colors? Ok, now that half of England (and some RABID Liverpool fans worldwide) are furious with me, I'll sign off.

Michelle said...

Never in a million years!!! Blue is the colour for Chelsea! It's my favorite colour too which is an added bonus. I can wear my jersey on non-game days and not feel stupid as I did when I wore my Newcastle jersey, the black and white stripes were sooo abrasive. This is such a girly comment, but I can't help it. Chelsea's colours are so much more appealing.