Saturday, January 27, 2007

Wordsworth Comes to Mind

"Up! up! my Friend, and quit your books;
Or surely you'll grow double:
Up! up! my Friend, and clear your looks;
Why all this toil and trouble?

The sun, above the mountain's head,
A freshening lustre mellow
Through all the long green fields has spread,
His first sweet evening yellow.

Books! 'tis a dull and endless strife..."


-An excerpt from William Wordsworth's "The Tables Turned"

Ah my dear Wordsworth, this poem of yours keeps coming to mind. So after a wearying week, I've shoved my books aside here at almost 8 o'clock at night and have taken myself vicariously to the "long green fields" , not as you meant it, but to my soccer pitches in England. After all, it's dark and the fields and woods are blanketed with snow, so it's hardly fitting for me to go traipsing about at this hour. So to my soccer pitches I have went via the oh so convenient internet. Hehe, I kinda just rhymed there, but in doing so my grammar has become a bit atrocious. Anyway, I digress.

FA Cup action is going on this weekend and Chelsea doesn't play until tomorrow, so I just briefly checked out the Prem. previews and I have to admit I'm still bumming about this six point gap between us and Man. U., but I found a rather interesting tribute to Chelsea (on YouTube) regarding this very issue. It's a bit dramatic in its opening seconds, but then it gets to the real soccer action eventually.

In other news, today has been a pretty uneventful Saturday. I did get new tires for my car this morning which is a big deal, especially after almost killing myself on the way to Garrett's last Sunday afternoon in the snow. I discovered, almost too late, what happens when you wait too long to replace tires that have next to no tread.

And I'm also eagerly anticipating a call that I am supposed to get tomorrow morning from Jen & co. in Chicago. They are supposed to call me from a "special place" and I think I know what that special place is after chatting with Shannon about it this afternoon. Still eagerly anticipating the call though. :-) Well, nothing too much else to write about except daily stuff that God is teaching me, what I'm learning in class and how much I enjoyed TNT Thursday night, but that can wait for another day. It's getting late and I still want some quality time with the Lord tonight before it gets too late and I can't keep my eyes open. So I will end here.

3 comments:

JR said...

Missed you muy mucho! Willow can't hold a candle to you! (Not that anyone thought it could...not in a million years.)

Shannon said...

Are we going to have to start serving burgers at TNT? Maybe that would improve the worship environment too?? ;-)

Michelle said...

I'm doubling over in laughter right now Shannon! Jen, until you all went there this weekend, I had completely forgotten that Willow has a food court where you can eat and watch the service on the screen. What will they think of next?!