Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Completing Him Marriage Challenge--His Vision

This challenge is almost over, but I'm jumping in anyway (since I just found it).  Courtney, over at Women Living Well got this started at the beginning of the summer and I think it's awesome! 

This week's challenge pulled directly from her blog is as follows: 

It's week #7 in our Summer Completing Him Challenge! Here's this week's challenge: Support his vision. Discuss his vision for your family. Where does he see your family in 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years. Share with us how you let your husband lead.


First of all, this is an area that I know I'm going to have to work on for the rest of my life.  For those of you who know me really well, you know that I have a pretty strong personality and that I have absolutely no problem taking the reigns and leading...in almost any and all situations.  From age fourteen on, I lived in a single-parent household and I got to exercise a lot of leadership in our day-to-day home life.  My mom was always grateful for any help my 12-year-old brother and I could offer as she adjusted to working full-time outside of the home.  During my teenage years and on, I loved my "to do" lists and I loved goal setting and big picture stuff...along with detailed daily work. 

So when I got married over 22 months ago, I knew I would really need to be prayerful about how I conducted myself within my marriage and that I had a lot to learn if I was to take God at His Word with regards to submitting to my beloved husband's leadership.  That's why I got so excited when I saw this week's challenge. 

So this past weekend, I asked Ciaran these questions.  We had a great discussion and I learned so much about Ciaran's vision for us as a family.  We are always talking about these things, but sitting down without the TV on, without having a bunch of other stuff to discuss really made this a memorable evening.

I married a visionary man.  I've known this about him since I met him.  I deeply admire his vision and leadership abilities within the teaching field, within the coaching arena (to watch this man of mine coach teenage young men on the soccer field still takes my breath away...just as it did in June of 2001 when I first met him), and now within our marriage.  But Ciaran can also be a reserved man in the home and throughout the course of our discussion this weekend, I realized how much he envisions for our family.  It's so easy for me to interpret his reserve as passivity and this challenge taught me that nothing could be further from the truth.  As a result of this challenge, I now see Ciaran as a strong and visionary leader in the home...it's just that he has a pretty strong-willed wife that can easily eclipse him.....hmmmm...something I need to be more prayerful about! 

The best part about learning Ciaran's one year, five year, and ten year vision for us is his vision is completely something I can come alongside him as his helper and support. Now, I can't wait to see where God takes us as God continues to teach me how to support and be a suitable helper for this wonderful man of mine!

2 comments:

JR said...

I love you guys! I love what God is doing IN you guys and I love what God does THROUGH you guys! :D I was reading through old e-mails from the GIRLS Inc. era today. :) Made me smile. Please keep praying for me in that area (not that area SPECIFICALLY, if you know what I mean--been there, done that, completely OVER that...but in terms of being patient about my murky future NOW!)

Thanks!

Michelle said...

Jen, I just prayed for you and I'll continue to pray! Goodness, I miss you! I'm going to be at my in-laws this upcoming weekend to visit our nephew and niece, but if you want to get together, I know I could head over to you or we could meet inbetween at my mom's house. Let me know!