Friday, August 06, 2010

Frugal Friday-Price Book

In my ongoing quest to shave pennies from our grocery budget, I've started keeping a price book.  As I'm grocery shopping, I tend to believe sale markers.  If the sign says the item is 50% off, I'm inclined to buy it.  That was until I started using my price book.  A price book is a simple document where you track the prices on specific items over a set amount of time.  My goal is to track prices over the course of 12 weeks.  When I first started this, I used an Excel spreadsheet, but it got way too confusing.  Just this week, I've transferred over to Money Saving Mom's price book and I'm loving it! She has multiple formats to choose from, but I've settled on this one.

A number of people advised me to start with just 20 items and track those and then move up from there.  I'm actually tracking around 40 items right now, but that's because I'm on summer vacation and have that extra time. Once the school year starts, I'll probably just choose 15-20 to track and then move on to the rest later on.

One of the biggest benefits of the price book so far is that I've discovered that sale markers are not always truthful. A number of places actually mark up the price before putting it "on sale."  I'm definitely liking my price book!  Now I'm learning when something is at a truly "rock bottom" price and I can stock up then.  It's pretty sweet. 

Happy Friday everyone!

No comments: